Chandan Yatra or Chandan Jatra also known as Chandan Purnima, which is celebrated in Puri Jagannath Temple on the full moon day (Poornima) in the month of Baisakh or Vaishakh (April – May). It is one of the most auspicious days of the Chandan Yatra, which lasts 42 days.
- 2022-Chandan Purnima falls on 16th May
- 2023-Chandan Purnima falls on 5th May
Chandan Purnima refers to the sandal paste that is smeared on the idols to keep them cool during the festival. The Narendra Pond’s water also contains sandal paste. In Orissa, the Chandan Purnima festival is also celebrated in a number of other temples dedicated to Lord Jagannath. It starts on the day of Akshaya Tritiya. The celebration in some temples ends on Chandan Purnima day. The celebration may last for 21 or 42 days in various temples.
Celebration of Chandan Yatra
Lord Jagannath’s Chandan Yatra is celebrated for 42 days. It is broken into two halves, each of which is 21 days long. Bahara Chandan Yarta is observed in the Narendra tank during the first 21 days from Akshaya Tritiya. The second 21 days are known as Bhitara Chandan Yatra and are observed in the temple’s Jalakrida Mandapa.
Lord Jagannath, Bhudevi, Sridevi, Rama, Krishna, and Pandavas idols are transported to their respective Tanks in spectacular processions. The Lord takes a bath in a section of the tank that has been particularly prepared with sandalwood paste and other fragrances. The goddesses row around the tank in elegantly prepared boats as part of the rite.
During the 42-day Chandan Yatra, a variety of other rites and celebrations are observed.
Chandan Yatra is now celebrated in many other Jagannath Temples and Lord Krishna temples around the world, particularly those affiliated with ISKCON.
HD Photos on Chandan Yatra
- Four Gates of Sri Jagannath Temple, Odisha.
- Chausathi Yogini Temple, Hirapur, Bhubaneswar.
- Budhha Purnima Date & Significane of the Festival
- God Narsingh HD images for Android/iphone/Desktop.
- Maa Bhadrakali Temple, Divine Beshas & HD Photos.
- Maa Dhamarai Temple, Dhamara, Bhadrak
- Baba Akhandalamani Temple, Aradi, Bhadrak, HD Photos
- List of Tourist, Picnic, Beautiful Places in Bhadrak District.
- Jagannath Temple Old & Very Rare HD Photos.
- Kakatpur Maa Mangala HD Photo.
- Maa Charchika: Chamunda with the eight-armed goddess.
- Harishankar Peeth: Beauty, Scenic Streaming Rock Gandhamardhan Hill.
- Maa Samaleswari.
- Maa Batamangala.
- Palada Maa Mangala Photo.
Please comment and share Subscribe so that we will bring you more such articles in the future. Thank you. Have a good day. Stay Safe & Healthy. God Bless you.